By Jen P
How did this one slip through the cracks?
This weekend, I took the fam to see The Good Dinosaur, Disney’s newest animated feature. But better than that pointless film, was a trailer before the movie. Yeah, you heard me. The trailer for Ratchet and Clank was better than The Good Dinosaur.
Here’s the official Synopsis:
A CG-animated movie based on the iconic PlayStation video game. Two unlikely heroes struggle to stop a vile alien named Chairman Drek from destroying every planet in the Solana Galaxy. Ratchet is the last of his kind, a foolhardy “lombax” who has grown up alone on a backwater planet with no family of his own. Clank is a pint-sized robot with more brains than brawn. When the two stumble upon a dangerous weapon capable of destroying entire planets, they must join forces with a team of colorful heroes called The Galactic Rangers in order to save the galaxy. Along the way, they will learn about heroism, friendship, and the importance of discovering one’s own identity.
It’s like this movie was made for me.
I’m of the gamer type that hardly ever plays, but when I do, I like a great, lighthearted story, third person views, and silliness. Lots of silliness. Games that fall within that category are as follows: Anything with Mario, Luigi, or Yoshi, Lego Games, Kingdom Hearts, Jak and Daxter, Banjo Kazooie, and Ratchet and Clank. Of those, Ratchet and Clank competes neck and neck with Kingdom Hearts for best storyline I’ve ever played. The only drawback to KH is that it deals with slightly heavier drama, whereas Ratchet and Clank is nearly always ridiculous. The one I prefer any given day depends on the mood I’m in.
Anyway, back to the trailer.
Mind = Blown.
Let me tell you why they’re doing this one right:
- The studio is using the original voice talent from the game.
- Yeah, you heard me. Ratchet, Clank, Drek, and Quark are all original voice talents. James Arnold Taylor, David Kaye, Kevin Michael Richardson, and Jim Ward respectively.
- They’re adding newer, bigger stars.
- Bella Thorne, Rosario Dawson, Sylvester Stallone, Paul Giamatti, John Goodman, and Bill Farmer to name a few. (Bill Farmer has voiced Goofy since the 80’s)
- They spared no expense on the graphics.
- This shiz looks better than a Pixar movie.
I mean, they can’t go wrong with that combo.
That being said, there are a few drawbacks:
- There’s a chance the story will fall flat.
- Based on the preview alone, I wasn’t entirely sucked in. That’s a problem for people not loyal to the game.
- Video games traditionally stink up the big screen
- Take, Super Mario Bros, Doom and BloodRayne for example.
- That being said, there are exceptions to the rule. Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, and even Prince of Persia all did well on the big screen. Not to mention, Wreck it Ralph, which has become one of my favorite Disney movies of all time. It isn’t based on a real game, but feature’s characters from favorites such as Bowser and Sonic.
- Everything I’ve listed (aside from Wreck it Ralph) has been a real life adaptation. We don’t know how the animated version will fare. It may make bank on kids alone. Final Fantasy did okay in the box office. And as a person who never played any of the games, I was super disappointed in the film. Here’s hoping RAC will do well at the theaters and actually be watchable!
In summary, I’ll be there! I may even be able to take my toddlers to this one BECAUSE it’s animated.
Now, on to other news.
In my quest for information reguarding Ratchet and Clank, I stumbled upon many the upcoming film adaptation of a beloved game. Here are a few, with as many trailers as I could assemble:
- Angry Birds- Seriously. WTF.
- Warcraft- Meh. Not my thing, but looks watchable.
- Assassin’s Creed- Yep, that’s Michael Fassbender
- Resident Evil: The Final Chapter- Looks like Alice might need some help getting up the stairs.
- Uncharted- We don’t even have a cast yet but… YASSSSS!
- Sly Cooper- Never played it. Any good?
- Sonic the Hedgehog- All we know is that it will be a combo of live-action and CGI. I guess we’ll see.
- Minecraft- No for real guys. Stop now.
- The Last of Us- They better not F*&@ this up.
- Tomb Raider- Yes, they’re rebooting the franchise. Hopefully with a less busty version than Angelina. Though I love her.
There are many more in the works, but these have the most legitimate information and I don’t want to get your hopes up about something that may not happen!
And sad news for those of us who loved Tron. As of right now, there will be no sequel. I’m truly heartbroken over this.
*pours one out for neon homies*
Now, off to replay Ratchet and Clank!! You know I’m rockin’ that old school PS2. Peace.
What do you think? Will you go see Ratchet and Clank in the Theaters? Let us know in the comments.