By T. Mack
Our Sister Geek, Jen P, and her family have a very special relationship with Kingdom Hearts, the video game series by Disney which features an array of characters from Disney movies and cartoons as they go on quests to collect … you guessed it… kingdom hearts. Normally, she would be the one to write about the new game and the fresh trailer released this week at E3 2015. Alas, she is on vacation and it falls to me to give all the squee-worthy details that fans of the series have desperately been awaiting.
GameSpot talked with directors Tetsuya Nomura and Tai Yasue to get the scoop on what we can expect from the new game. Here’s the breakdown:
- Kingdom Hearts III will close the story of Sora and friends.
- Sora has now passed the Keyblade wielder’s Mark of Mastery exam, which he’d previously failed.
- There are transforming Keyblades, which can become other weapons. Yasue explains that “the transformations of each Keyblade will be related to the world you visit. [They’ve] made each transformation unique to the world.”
- There will be giant, Shadow of the Colossus-style boss battles.
- There is a new theme-park-ride summon attack.
- There is another Kingdom Hearts game, a mobile title called Kingdom Hearts Unchained X (the “X” is pronounced “key”). This title takes place before Kingdom Hearts III chronologically. Nomura urges players to complete Unchained X first as it gives background to The Keyblade War, a major event discussed and viewed at length throughout the series.
- Sadly, there is still no release date for Kingdom Hearts III.
However, there is that new trailer. Hopefully, that will give fans some satisfaction as they continue to wait for the next chapter in the Kingdom Hearts saga. Take a look at the trailer below.
Kingdom Hearts III is developed by Square Enix and will be available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.